How To Get Rid Of Monkshood

Monkshood, also known as Aconitum, is a beautiful but highly poisonous plant. All parts of the plant are toxic, and it has been used as a poison since ancient times. If you have monkshood growing in your garden, it’s important to take precautions to prevent accidental poisoning.

Here are some tips on how to get rid of monkshood safely.

  • Start by removing any dead or dying flowers from the plant
  • This will help to prevent the spread of disease and improve air circulation around the plant
  • Cut back the monkshood plant by about one-third its total height
  • This will encourage new growth and help to promote a more compact plant
  • Prune away any damaged or diseased leaves, stems, or roots from the plant
  • Dispose of these properly so as not to spread disease
  • Apply a balanced fertilizer to the soil around the monkshood plant according to package directions
  • This will help to promote healthy growth and discourage weed development
  • Water the monkshood deeply but infrequently, allowing the top few inches of soil to dry out between watering sessions


Monkshood Poisoning Symptoms

Monkshood poisoning is a serious medical condition that can be fatal if left untreated. Symptoms of monkshood poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and coma. If you suspect that someone has been poisoned by monkshood, it is important to seek medical help immediately.

How To Get Rid Of Monkshood


Should I Get Rid of Monkshood?

If you have monkshood in your garden and are wondering whether or not to get rid of it, here is some information that may help you make your decision. Monkshood (Aconitum napellus) is a beautiful, but potentially deadly, plant. All parts of the plant are poisonous if ingested, and even touching the plant can cause skin irritation in some people.

The poison works by interfering with the electrical impulses that control the heart, which can lead to irregular heartbeat and eventually heart failure. In small doses, monkshood can be used as a medicinal herb for treating pain and inflammation, but only under the supervision of a qualified healthcare practitioner. So should you get rid of your monkshood plants?

That depends on several factors. If you have young children or pets who might be tempted to nibble on the leaves or flowers, it’s probably best to remove them from your garden. Even if they don’t ingest any of the poison, they could still suffer from skin irritation simply from coming into contact with the plant.

If you’re comfortable taking precautions to keep children and animals away from monkshood (such as fencing off the area where it grows), then you may decide to keep it in your garden. Just be sure to educate yourself about how to handle this dangerous plant safely so that you can enjoy its beauty without putting yourself or others at risk.

What Happens If You Touch Monkshood?

If you touch monkshood, the poison will enter your system through your pores and cause severe pain, paralysis, and eventually death. The plant contains a substance called aconitine which is so poisonous that just 0.2 milligrams is enough to kill an adult human.

Is Monkshood Invasive?

Monkshood (Aconitum napellus) is a flowering plant in the buttercup family that is native to Europe and Asia. It is also known as wolfsbane, leopard’s bane, women’s bane, and blue rocket. The plant has been used medicinally since ancient times for a variety of conditions, including pain relief and treatment of wounds, but it is also highly poisonous.

Monkshood invades gardens and landscapes where it can crowd out other plants. It is difficult to control once established, so it is best to prevent its spread in the first place.

How Long Does Monkshood Poisoning Last?

Monkshood poisoning is a very serious and potentially fatal condition. If you think you or someone else has been poisoned by monkshood, it is important to seek medical help immediately. The symptoms of monkshood poisoning can start within minutes or hours after exposure and can last for days or weeks.

In some cases, the effects of the poison can be permanent. There is no specific antidote for monkshood poisoning, so treatment focuses on supporting the person and managing their symptoms. This may involve giving them oxygen, fluids through an IV, and medications to control seizures or heart rate.

The person will also be closely monitored for any further complications. If you think you have been exposed to monkshood, it is important to remove any clothing that may be contaminated and wash your skin thoroughly with soap and water. You should then seek medical attention as soon as possible.


If you’re looking to get rid of monkshood, there are a few things you can do. You can either dig up the plant or use an herbicide. If you decide to dig up the plant, make sure to wear gloves and long sleeves to protect yourself from the poisonous sap.

If you choose to use an herbicide, be sure to follow the instructions on the label carefully. Whichever method you choose, be sure to dispose of the plant properly so that it doesn’t spread and harm other people or animals.